Saturday, January 07, 2006

Chess Anyone?

Do you get chill bumps every time you hear ABBA's "Dancing Queen?" What about "The Winner Takes It All?" It seems to me that music is a very touchy subject, especially with people who have horrible tastes in music. Apparently to exist in our society today you must identify with a specific genre of music.
Throughout high school I identified myself as a lover of classic rock. I listened to the Beatles and Eagles. I would probably have classified my favorite artists as Billy Joel and Elton John. In college I suppose I dabbled, finally setteling on the alternative revolution as defined by Dave Matthews, Blues Traveler, and Alanis Morrissette. My military carrer continued my Dave Matthews fandom and added Barenaked Ladies and Kid Rock. My return to school for a master's degree introuduced me to pop-punk. Greenday, Sum 41, and Linkin Park now reflected my personal asethetic. Recently I have begun once again trying to redefine what it is exactly I listen to. And I am at a total loss.
For the longest time I disliked myself because of my lack of ability to commit. I wished I could be singularly identifiable. I thought that my inability to commit to one type of music was a reflection on my personal life and perhaps a projection of a larger problem of commitment in relationships, jobs, ect. What I have come to realize is that all these years I have been trying to find a designation for myself; it was for everyone else and not for me. I have tons of different musical tastes and none really have an identifiable thread or connection. I cannot be boiled down to a single concept or entity. I am unique; I like good music and that's that. And the definiton of "good" music is music that I like or deem valuable in some sense. It is perfectly circular reasoning which creates unity about my stance. I guess, in summary, I no longer wish to allow people to categorize me within the first ten seconds of meeting me by asking me in what genre of music most of the things I listen to fit. I have varied tastes. Spend some time and get to know them. Or if you aren't willing to invest that time, don't pretend that you are interested in knowing more about me, because you clearly aren't.
What does all this have to do with ABBA, you may be asking? Well ABBA is one of the easiest ways to explain to people what "good" music is. Everyone who listens to ABBA likes at least one of their songs, however open they may or may not be about their feelings. Allow me to list some songs and let me know if you like at least one: "Dancing Queen," "Take a Chance on Me," "Fernando," "Waterloo," "Winner Takes it all," "Money, Money, Money," "Super Trouper," "SOS," "Knowing Me, Knowing You." Find at least one you like? Probably. The songs are just "Good." Much in the same way Ace of Base was good. Catchy tunes, melodious orchestrations, and rythmic beats. That same description could be applied to Elton John, Green Day, Pink Floyd, the Beach Boys, the Bee Gees, Billy Joel, or My Chemical Romance.
SO WHAT??!?!?!? you say. Please tell me what any of this has to do with anything else. The answer is simple, SHOWTUNES!!!! I love a good showtune. IT doesn't matter what style of music the songs are. For example: Classic tunes (Sound of Music, Westside Story, Oklahoma), 60's (Hair, most notably), 70's (Godspell, Chorus Line), Sondheim (Into the Woods, Assassins, et al.), Andrew Lloyd Webber (Jesus Christ Superstar, Starlight Express, Evita, Phantom), Boubil/Schonberg (Les Miz, Miss Siagon), 90's (RENT, City of Angels, Closer Than Ever), and even continuing to current shows such as Wicked, Avenue Q, and Putnam County Spelling Bee. And all of the arists mentioned in the last sentence of the previous paragraph, with exception of MCR, have some type of musical theatre work, or something that could in some way be classified as a complete telling of a story within a single album. ABBA fits into this category as well with their Broadway Hit Show, Mamma Mia. However my point today is about a more obscure, but in most ways better show from the same guys that brought you Dancing Queen and Mamma Mia: CHESS.
Chess is a story about international competitive chess set during the cold war. This makes the story an engaging one as every competition between the US and Soviet Union during the cold war was in some way a validation of one political system over the other. (See 1980 re:Miracle on Ice.) Chess follows a snotty American and his female assistant and a dashing Russian and their travails at and between Chess Championships. The Russian falls in love with the American assistant and defects, much to the shagrin of his wife and Boris, his second in command. The American deals with chess as the only thing that validates his exsitence and reveals some deeply rooted turmoil. The show climaxes with everyone at a chess championship trying to figure out what makes them tick. Love, Glory, Honor, Fidelity, Loyalty? Scored with music from the BB's of ABBA and with lyrics from a fiesty Tim Rice (fresh off Jesus Christ Superstar and Evita, but before Alladin and Lion King), Chess represents the best musical no one performs. If you like good music, why not try on this musical for size. Grab a copy of the Original London version (in the black and white case) and get ready for a wonderful musical experience. You'll be shocked to learn that "One Night in Bangkok" is from this show and to find out who chooses what and why. Don't waste any more time trying to pidgeonhole yourself into a musical catergory. Free yourself from the chains that bind you musically and embrace a brave new world. One listen will have you wondering if the winner really does take it all.

1 Comments:

At 10:27 AM, Blogger James said...

Son of a.

It works...NOW.

It didn't yesterday.

You have to believe me.

It's your face I hate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home