Monday, December 26, 2005

Spandau Ballet

Ahhhhhhhh ha ha ha ha,
I know this much is true.
(repeat)


What type of a gravity do you believe in? Do you believe in a gravity that would pull an innocent child to his death for falling off a cliff? What about a type of gravity that would pull defective airplanes full of hundreds of "good" people to their deaths? What about a gravity that would continue to work even when causing the destruction of humans who had never heard of the concept of gravity before? Is that the kind of gravity you believe in? Well personally I don't believe in that kind of a gravity. I don't believe in a kind of gravity that would allow innocent people to get hurt. I don't believe in a gravity that would punish basically good people. I don't believe in a kind of gravity that would kill people who had never heard of it.
Clearly I am establishing a premise for an argument about something other than gravity, and you have probably already figured out that I am referring to God. I am tired of not writing about God. For most of my life I have tried to steer clear of any discussions on religion because they never accomplish anything. Each side believes what he or she believes and steadfastly refuses to change. Each side also views it as a personal mission to change the other side without being open to change themselves. Inevitably this leads to one person finally giving up or giving in, realizing that the conversation will, once again, be futile, and both sides going their own separate ways no different than they were when the conversation began. So I have traditionally tried to avoid discussions on religion at all costs.
I am finally broaching the subject now, not as a way to incite debate or stir traffic, but more as a way to let people know what I feel. As I begin this paragraph I am reminded of a conversation that a professor once related to me:

Student to Professor Eddins: You always think your opinions are right!
Eddins: Yes, or else I would have different opinions.

This embodies all I feel about my own opinions and thus leads me back to gravity. Gravity exists. We do not choose "a" gravity to believe in. We believe in gravity and what it does no matter what we think or feel it should be doing. In the same way, I believe God exists. We do not get to choose "a" god, or determine his attributes. (eg. I don't believe in a god who would let innocent people die, punish basically good, moral people, ect.) God existed before us and we may accept or reject Him, but not choose who He is or what He is like. HE is. The choice is not between choosing to follow Him and live eternally or not to follow Him and living only temporally. Eternal life exists and where we will spend eternity is the only choice we have. We do not get to choose whether or not a heaven or hell exist, and they will not go away just because we do not approve of the concepts. The only choice in the matter is if we desire to acknowledge the Creator of Everything or not. I do not know much in life, but I know this much is true. This is my opinion and I believe it is correct. I welcome your opinion and remain open to change if I am not correct.

3 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Blogger James said...

I liked the Chess post better.

This is like the time that you said that the desks would be heavy and then they turned out to be light.

In Chess you listed the music you liked and as I read it, it mirrored the poeple you hung with and the surroundings you existed. This was highlighted by your interest in pop-punk coinciding with your relationship with me.

I'm not sure what implications or truth can be extracted from this, but I beileve that there is something to be gained.

But the realization that showtunes are your method of choice is still interesting and personal. Needless to say, liked it.

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Jay Williams said...

Yeah, I guess my question is did I choose the people I hung out with based on music or the music I listened to based on people I hung out with? I tend to think I chose my music and found people who felt the same, but it is hard because I moved a lot and that could ahve something to do with the changes as well. Also, it would be a fairly shallow of me if I were to change music based on who I was friends with and I'm not a strong enough person to admit I'm that shallow. (Plus, I'm not.) Anyway, cest la vie. And thanks for reading.

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger James said...

No, no, no.

I think is a natural occurence for tastes to change based on surroundings and circumstance.

I think the shallow person is one who would blindly pledge alligence to one form or another solely.

I think musical taste is more compliated than one answer to one question. That's wy I'm so frustrated by people who refuse to answer simple questions like "What kind of music do you like?" with "Everything".

I'm even more frustrated by people who want to argue that the answer "everything" is completely valid and should be accepted as an adequate answer.

Take your post as an example. You estabilsh late in the article that your overriding musical genre is Showtunes. This leads me to beileve that other genres orbit around this larger taste.

So if the orbits of pop-punk and Dave shift closer and further apart as time passes, that is just what happens. The larger taste still remains in the center of the universe.

Take my tastes. The center of my universe is They Might Be Giants. Everything orbits around this central taste. So things like, DFW local artists, punk, rap, emo, etc. change position over time. Even though TMBG takes their cues from The Beatles (in a huge way now that I've listened to The Beatles albums), The Beatles still orbit TMBG in my universe.

I wasn't saying you are shallow, I was only saying how your auxillary tastes changes as your enviroment changed. Your center still stayed in the center.

I think I'm going to copy this post and make it a blog entry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home